Castile soap is another popular NoPoo method, although it often takes a lot of tinkering to get it right.
While the exact amount you need will depend on your hair type, as a general rule it is better to be over-cautious rather than under-cautious. Experiment and see what works for you.
- Pure-Castile Liquid Soap: Members of the community have found success with a 1:8 solution of soap to water (roughly half a tablespoon mixed in with half a cup of water). Massage gently into scalp.
- Pure-Castile Bar Soap: Work up a lather in hands and apply directly to scalp.
- Soap washes do not work well in hard water. It may be necessary to install a shower head filter or try a different method. Castile soap dilution will become milky in hard water.
- It is essential to follow a soap wash with an acidic conditioning rinse. Apple cider vinegar works well, although make sure to buy authentic (some grocery stores sell white vinegar that has apple cider added to it). If you would like to view how to perform an ACV rinse, click our guide here.
- As with other No-poo methods, there may be a transition period. It is worth waiting ~1 month before deciding if this method is/isn’t for you.