Rosemary

Scalp issues miracle worker – Rosemary!

Hi All,

I have been reading a lot if posts about dandruff/flakes/dry and itchy scalp/ Seborrheic dermatitis and even hearing IRL from friends and family. I decided to make this post so it could help others too.

Backstory: I was diagnosed with Seborrheic dermatitis 4-5 years ago and it was BAD! I tried everything – prescription strength shampoo, drugstore shampoo, natural remedies like ACV, lemon juice etc, monistat anti-fungal cream, 8-9 kinds of oils, washing hair daily, washing hair weekly, shampoo bars etc. You get get the idea. 90% of these remedies did nothing, the other 10% worked but either left my hair as dry as a straw or stopped working after a few weeks.

I was utterly desperate and mentioned my problem to my massage therapist in Jan 2018. I have TMJ and get medical massage for head/neck/jaw area and I was super embarrassed to go to my therapist and have her rub her hands all over my nasty scalp. I told her about my problem and requested that she use gloves. She then mentioned that she studied Rosemary in her natural healing class and people swore by it.

Being desperate, I tried it as instructed by her and voila! It worked! Instructions below.

  1. Buy dried rosemary (online or whole foods).
  2. Bring 3 cups of filtered water to a boil.
  3. Add 2-3 tsp rosemary, preferably in a teabag/stainless steel tea ball thingy and reduce to the heat to a simmer.
  4. Simmer the tea/rinse for 20-30 min.
  5. Turn off the stove and let the rosemary steep, covered, for a few hours (optional for max efficacy).
  6. Remove the rosemary and transfer the liquid to a spray bottle for easy application. Please use an amber/dark blue glass bottle (cheap on Amazon) to safely store the volatile oils/compounds in the rinse.

How to use: Use it all the time until you get rid of the flakes.

  1. I use as a pre-wash treatment – spray all over scalp and hair liberally. It should saturate the scalp especially. I wait 30-60 min or even overnight depending oh how well I plan my day.
  2. I also use it as a post-wash rinse – pour the rinse all over the hair in the shower post-wash as the final step. Rinse with water.
  3. I also use it as leave-in – spray the scalp liberally and lightly on the hair after you get out of the shower on damp hair.
  4. I use as needed on dry hair if I feel itchy. Simply spray on scalp and leave in.

FYI – I double the recipe and store in the fridge with a couple spoons of vodka in the rinse as a mild preservative. It usually keeps for 2 weeks.

I have been doing this for a year and my scalp is so healthy and flake-free. I did a very intensive daily treatment for 2 weeks to get my scalp under control and now I am at maintenance – usually a weekly application. The other great thing is the side-effects have been all positive – less frizz, skin looks fab because I usually also spritz my face with it.

I bought a large 1 LB bag of organic Rosemary from Mountain Rose Herbs a year ago (no affiliation) and I still have a ton left. I am thrilled. This solution is so cheap, easy and safe.

Variations: After telling everyone about this, my friends and family have reported back with their own recipes and all of them have worked well. See below:

  1. Using fresh rosemary also works great. My friend lives in a warm climate and grows rosemary all year round in her yard.
  2. Not simmering or steeping – my cousin lives in a dorm at college and doesn’t have a stove to do this. She simply microwaves water in large mug, adds the rosemary and tosses the tea bag 10-15 min later. She doesn’t transfer it to a bottle either, she just dumps the entire mug on her head in the shower.
  3. The quantity is very forgiving – some use less/more. Still works.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. Buy a small packet and try it. As mentioned above, I got a proper diagnosis for SD from a dermatologist, who funnily enough, laughed at this cure when I asked her before trying. Oh well, just happy it worked for me.

******

‚ÄčThank you to /u/mrsprosecutor for this contribution.

Leave a Reply